The Australasian Institute of Judicial Administration is pleased to announce the Forces of Change – Defining Future Justice Conference will be held at the Stamford Plaza Brisbane, Queensland from 24 – 26 May 2018.
A central theme of the conference will be conceptualisation of future justice and conversation on the fundamental principles which must be adapted in a period of significant change and disruption.
The conference will discuss the following drivers for change:
- Macro demographic, sociological, economic and political influences – these include for example: the aging population; globalisation (and the increase in cross border disputation); economic pressure particularly upon the younger generation; diversification in our community; the changing shape of work and employment.
- Emerging technologies including: online service delivery and transaction; artificial intelligence (which is predicted to inform dispute resolution processes); and the potential for virtual registries and distributed court rooms.
- Consumerism and increasing demand and expectation for timeliness, certainty, lower cost, and, greater convenience. This includes the proportion of people who either have to (or do elect) to represent themselves for all or part of their dispute.
- Changes in legal practice and the legal sector: – market has reduced tolerance for exorbitant charges; upcoming young lawyers who may insist on different practice and approaches; the changing shape of law firms; the emergence of “bundling” of services; and incorporation of new technologies to achieve efficiencies in for example discovery and legal research..
- Big data and government’s goals for greater transparency, exchange of and access to critical personal information (see for example Cth mygov).
This conference will continue the conversation on procedural justice and access in a rapidly changing world.
Courts will not be immunised from change and must plan for judicial and court administration in this context. There will be opportunities. There will also be challenges and maybe threats to fundamental principles which underpin the core of justice.
Courts and tribunals need to be ready to shape policy and future justice, identifying those bed rock principles which must be preserved and translated into this new environment.
Stamford Plaza Brisbane
Corner Edward St & Margaret Street
Brisbane QLD 4000
Who Should Attend
- Judicial Officers
- Court Administrators
- Legal Practitioners
- Policy makers
- Social Scientists
- Non-Government Organisations
For all enquiries please contact the team at Conference Design:
+61 3 6231 2999
Becoming a sponsor of the Forces of Change – Future of Justice Conference will benefit your organisation by giving you:
- Excellent networking opportunities with delegates and other sponsors
- The opportunity to profile your company and enhance your brand
- Direct access to your target market
- Prominent presence in the conference program
For further information please visit Sponsorship Opportunities.
Plenary Speakers & Committee Members
- Professor Gregory Reinhardt
Executive Director, Australasian Institute of Judicial Administration
- Deputy Chief Magistrate Jelena Popovic
Magistrates’ Court of Victoria
- Justice Helen Winkelmann
Court Appeal of New Zealand
- Ms Belinda Cassidy
Principal Claims Assessor, State Insurance Regulatory Authority
- Mr Clive Elliott QC
Barrister, Shortland Chambers